This flavorful vegan recipe is excellent for those days when you want to eat healthy but also super heartily.
Cauliflower makes a great rice substitute. It’s so delicious that when I make it people request it over and over again. Cauliflower soaks up spices and takes on whatever flavoring you add to it. So the possibilities are endless. You can make cauliflower stir fried rice or even Jamaican Rice and Peas using cauliflower instead of rice, the choice is yours !
This vegetable is high in antioxidants,is great at fighting heart disease and even prevents cancer. Now you know that you should be adding more cauliflower to your diet.
For a more “meaty” rice dish you should try adding mushrooms to this dish. Also a few slivered almonds wouldn’t hurt either.
When I was growing up, vegetables were unflavored and mushy. I started to believe that I didn’t like them. However the truth is,I didn’t like the way they were cooked. If you’re skeptical about this recipe,I think that you will find that to be true as well. With the right spices and amount of cooking time,you will become a believer too.
Try this delicious vegan recipe and let me know what you think.
- Olive oil, for frying
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 1 head cauliflower
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika or regular (optional)
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas (if using canned, drain and rinse)
- 2 ¼ teaspoons cayenne pepper
- Pour in enough oil to coat the bottom of a large frying pan over medium heat.
- When the oil is shimmering, add the onions and cook until golden brown.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and process in the food processor until the size of rice.
- Add the cauliflower, paprika, curry powder, chickpeas, and cayenne to the frying pan. Season to taste with salt, and stir.
- Cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until just tender.