This is the reason why I called my blog Flavorsome Vegan. My recipes are truly flavorful and always delicious. I can’t tell you just how immensely happy I get when I cook from my rich Caribbean culture. I love sharing recipes that are spiced to perfection,hearty and even versatile.
When most people think about vegan food,they think of a few almonds,avocado toast and an okay tasting green drink. I am here to tell that in 2018,vegan food is so much more. Anything that you can enjoy as a non vegan, the vegan world has got an alternative to it.
This vegan recipe is amazing because you can substitute the beans and squash for your favorite legume or root vegetable. You can also enjoy this recipe with roti or naan bread. The choice is completely up to you. Even soft taco shells would be delicious.
Vegan food is delicious and very satisfying because you aren’t consuming empty calories. Every bite is filled with actual nutrients and vitamins to keep you going and feeling full.
The vegan recipe was so easy to prepare and you will absolutely love it. Don’t forget to add us on Instagram #flavorsomevegan for more recipe updates.
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 7 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 hot pepper
- 2½ cups water, plus ⅓ cup divided
- 4 teaspoons curry powder (I used Angel Brand)
- 7 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 4 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can red kidney beans,drained and rinsed
- 7 medium slices of kabocha squash peeled or 3 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- In the blender, blend the onion, garlic, 4 sprigs of thyme, hot peppers, and ⅓ cup of water until paste like.
- Measure ⅓ cup of the paste into a small bowl.
- Add the curry powder and mix thoroughly.
- Pour 6 tablespoons of oil into a large frying pan over medium heat and fry the paste.
- Add the tomato paste and fry for a couple of minutes then stir in the chickpeas, potatoes, remaining 2½ cups of water, and remaining 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Sprinkle in the salt and remaining 3 sprigs of thyme. Stir to combine.
- Let cook until the squash is tender or 15 minutes.
- Serve with Rice,Roti or Doubles.