I have a love affair with Jamaican food. I use to live in the Bronx and there was a Jamaican restaurant on almost every corner. My favorite meal to get was oxtails and rice and peas. I would buy the small and when I opened it,the brown sauce would glisten over the oxtails and the aroma of coconut from the rice would excite my senses. So when I heard about Jamaican Pepper Pot Soup,I knew I would probably like it and I was right.
The addition of the coconut juice was a game changer,it smoothed out the other ingredients and made it creamy and nourishing. I was surprised that a soup that didn’t have any beans or peas could still be so rich.I used kale instead of the usual callaloo because I couldn’t find it. I have to say that it didn’t matter,you can also use spinach.
Caribbean Sweet potato or Boniato as it’s formally known, cooks up sweet and dense. The other savory provisions balance it out perfectly. I have also been looking for delicious,filling meals to add to my exercise regimen and this one fits the bill.
I hope that you and your family enjoy this recipe.You can find a lot of these ingredients at your local Caribbean grocer.
- 5 stalks kale
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ onion sliced
- ½ kombocha Squash
- ½ or 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 8 cups water
- 3 Caribbean sweet potatoes
- 4 green bananas peeled
- 10 okras tops and bottoms removed
- 2 scallions tops and bottoms removed
- 1 firm ripe plantain peeled
- 1 mature coconut cracked and meat removed from the shell
- 31/2 cups water
- Wash and destem the kale,then chop very small and place into a large pot.
- Peel the garlic cloves and mince then place into the pot.
- Slice the onion very thin and place into the pot.
- Peel the squash and then cut into cubes.
- Place ½ cup of the squash cubes into the pot.
- Place the pepper and water into the pot.
- Let everything cook for 1 hour.
- Place the remaining squash into the pot.
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into cubes then place into the pot.
- Peel the green bananas and place them into the pot.
- Add in the okras.
- Cut the plantain into medium chunks and place them into the pot.
- Cut the coconut into medium chunks.
- Place the coconut and water into your blender and blend well.
- Strain and pour into the pot.
- Cook for 1 hour,remove the thyme,scallion and hot pepper
- Salt to taste,then serve.