Sometimes you have to show a recipe for what it is. Gritty,real and cultural. Presenting only beautiful food is boring. Preparation is where the true story of that recipe is told.
Barbados is where I learned just how tasty this hard on the outside,sweet and watery on the inside fruit could be.We would slurp up the tender jelly inside and when we finished enjoying our coconut,it was like spending an entire hour in therapy. We were refreshed and our soul was cleansed.
Coconut punch isn’t as popular in Barbados as you might assume. This is my first time making this drink however most Caribbean punches have essence,cinnamon and nutmeg as the flavoring so it was easy to make it authentically.
Is there a food in the Caribbean more humbler that the coconut ? If you ask me,no. One of the many reasons why I love it so much.
I like to make all of my drink recipes raw vegan, including my sorrel. Sorrel is an amazing red drink that is made from the sepals of the sorrel flower. It’s normally served at Christmas time in the Caribbean.
With this recipe you are assured that you’re receiving all the benefits from the coconut because none of the elements are cooked. The enzymes are still intact.
I used cashews to give it a little creaminess and the coconut flavor really shines through. After you strain it with a strainer,make sure that you strain it a second time with a nut-milk bag or cloth strainer.
Enjoy this easy vegan drink recipe and let me know what you think. Don’t forget to tag us on Instagram at #flavorsomevegan
Delicious Raw Vegan Coconut Punch
- 1 mature coconut
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup,plus 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- pinch pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tablespoon raw cashews
- 4 cups water
- Hold the coconut in your hand and hit it with a hammer over your sink. Drink or discard the water.
- Break the coconut into about 4 pieces. Then insert a small knife in between the shell and white meat. Pry the meat from the shell by moving the knife up and down.
- Place the coconut into your blender,cutting them into smaller pieces if needed.
- Then add in cinnamon,nutmeg,maple syrup,salt,cashews and water.
- Blend until well combined,then strain with a strainer over a large bowl. Then strain a second time with a cloth strainer like cheese cloth or a nut-milk bag.
- Serve ice-cold.