Tofu is not nasty,if you know how to prepare it. Tofu is made from mashed soy beans. I can honestly tell you that if you buy extra firm tofu,drain ,pat dry it with a paper towel and season it well,you can create some of the most delicious meat replacements you have ever tasted.
This recipe is is an example of a great tasting recipe using tofu. It has a great Caribbean flavor that will have you coming back for more.
I have a mini announcement that I would like to make. I have been working on my cookbook this past summer and it is now finished. I have created some of the best vegan food I and the people who tasted the food from our photo shoots have ever had. I literally created almost every well known Caribbean food there is. Vegan oxtails are in there,four kinds of “Meat” Patties,Pholourie, Bajan Macaroni Pie, Chicken Sandwich,Coco Bread,Sweet Bread,Jollof Rice,African Fu Fu, Trinidadian Bake and “Shark”, Conkies, Fried “Chicken”, Jerk Meat Lasagna,Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken, Pumpkin Rice and hundreds more. That is one of the reasons why I wasn’t blogging. I had to keep focused on bringing you the most delicious vegan food. Keep checking back for the dates of the book’s release. You won’t want to miss it.
This is a tried and true vegan recipe that I have been making for my family for a while now so you can be assured that you will absolutely love it. It goes well with rice,or you can even enjoy it as is.
Vegan Okra and Tomato Tofu
This dish is so flavorful and hearty. You will want to make this one over and over again.
- 1 (14-ounce) package extra-firm tofu, patted dry with paper towels
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup all –purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons salt, divided
- Oil, for frying
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- Small piece of hot pepper, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Roma tomato, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 small tangerine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ cup water
- 1 pound okra
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Cut the tofu into 9 slices, then cut each slice in half lengthwise.
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, and 3 teaspoons of salt in a medium bowl and stir to mix.
- Dip the tofu slices in the mixture to coat on both sides.
- Into a large frying pan over medium heat, pour enough oil to cover the bottom.
- When the oil is shimmering, fry the tofu on both sides until golden brown.
- Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate.
- Discard the oil then pour 3 tablespoons of fresh oil into the frying pan.
- Stir in the onion and hot pepper and cook until lightly brown.
- Add the garlic, tomato, tangerine juice, tomato paste, maple syrup, curry powder, water, okra, remaining 1 teaspoon of salt and cayenne.
- Mix well and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the tofu and coat well with a large spoon.
- Serve over rice or quinoa or eat it as is.